Masters of the Unseen Tower
When you find a scroll of a spell in a spellbook for your chosen school, you can choose to alter the spell before scribing it into your spellbook.
Scribing an altered spell into a spellbook destroys the spell scroll. Additionally, it requires double the normal cost in special inks and materials to scribe the spell into spellbook than would a normal scroll. It requires 1d4 8 hour days per spell level to alter a spell in this way. During a single long rest, you can devote 1 hour to altering a spell in addition to the 1 hour you take to prepare your spells without disrupting your rest.
- Can alter an AOE from a radius or cylinder within range to a cone or line originating from the caster.
- Can alter the type of damage the spell deals.
- Can alter a spell which attacks multiple targets to single target, or single target to 5’ radius AOE.
- Can alter an instantaneous duration into a concentration up to 1 minute duration.
- Can alter the effect of scaling a spell from extra damage dice to affecting additional targets.
- Can alter the size of damage dice and/or the base spell slot level.
Only one of these can be accomplished at a time. When copying an already altered spell from a spellbook to a scroll or to another spellbook, the alteration can be reverted to the original spell. Alternatively, an additional alteration can be made. A maximum of 3 alterations can be made. A second alteration entails 4x the cost in time and resources. A third alteration costs 8×.
(Note: All alterations are subject to GM approval, and AOE spells will be under more scrutiny. Altered spells count as Wizard spells for the purposes of number of prepared spells.)